A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY starting early 2024
HEAD GARDENER wanted for THE BRESSINGHAM GARDENS
An excellent opportunity has arisen for a Head Gardener to join a small team on a large privately-owned estate between Cambridge and Norwich. The gardens are open to the public between mid February and November and are maintained to a high standard throughout the year. This position would suit a qualified and knowledgeable gardener with excellent attention to detail and experience of working with a staff of gardeners and volunteers.
This is a full-time, on-site role for a Head Gardener located in Diss, United Kingdom. The Head Gardener will be responsible for managing and overseeing the maintenance and development of the Bressingham Gardens and supervising the gardening team. The ideal candidate should have strong leadership skills, be experienced in garden design and maintenance techniques, and have a passion for horticulture. The successful applicant will need to have to be a plants person, be committed, trustworthy, self-motivated, have an eye for detail and a desire to achieve high standards. Applicants must possess good supervisory and communication skills as well as a positive attitude. This is very much a hands-on position that requires good leadership skills and enthusiasm for disseminating horticultural knowledge to those within the team and volunteers.
Although the position is predominantly based on a 40-hour working week, flexibility is required to cover weekends and Bank Holidays as required for the purposes of watering and special events.
This position offers an excellent opportunity to restore and develop the original Bloom plant collections, work within the fabulous celebrated gardens, and with owners who are genuinely passionate about their gardens, develop new areas like the wildflower meadow, work with a wealth of plant and wildlife diversity, propagate from stock plants and in time select new cultivars.
Start date: early 2024
- Years of Experience in Gardening and Horticulture
- Strong knowledge of gardening techniques, plant identification, and pest management
- Degree in Horticulture, Botany, or a related field is desired
- Strong leadership and team management skills
- Experience in garden design, landscaping, and maintenance
- Effective communication skills and ability to work in cross-functional and collaborative teams
- Ability to operate garden machinery and equipment safely and efficiently
- General knowledge of health and safety compliance in a garden setting
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions
Job Type: Full-time, 40 hours
Salary to be discussed in the light of experience – 30K-40K
To apply, please email a CV and covering letter to email@example.com